[LINK] making windows secure: sandboxie and other goodies

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Mon Aug 7 12:42:46 AEST 2006

On 2006 Aug 07, at 12:19 PM, steve jenkin wrote:
> Rob Pike has a good presentation where he makes the point that cheap,
> ubiquitously available hardware has high 'variety', which has
> forced O/S
> software to compensate...  So now we have complex O/S's, whereas
> people
> with constrained hardware (VAX, IBM 370/390 series) don't..

Ahh, you know for a long time I have wanted a usable version of plan
9.  It is an OS that is really much better designed from the ground
up.   No apps yet :-(

> It's Ashby's Law of Requisite Variety in action:
>  For an O/S to present a low-variety interface (i.e. *one* audio
> interface to programs), it has to cope with the huge variety of
> hardware...  Otherwise called device driver hell...

You can't really use that to excuse Windows.  BSD copes OK but with
windows the underlying design is flawed if you can use a term like
"underlying design" at all when referring to Windows.

Plan 9 is the only OS I've read about that was really designed for a
networking environment.  All other OSs had networking patched on
afterward.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant