[LINK] HP balks at patent provision in GPL update

Chris Maltby chris at sw.oz.au
Mon Aug 7 15:14:46 AEST 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 02:50:40PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> "...from each author *AND* the conveyer..." (emphasis added by me)
>
> yep, i'd say you were reading it wrong.

Actually, the other key phrase is "arising from your exercise of rights..."
as your rights include the right to convey as defined.

In other words the issue of patent enforcement against people who receive
it from you would be protected because the act of distribution and sub
distribution is an exercise of the first recipient's rights. That's what
give the AND highlighted by Craig its force.

It could surely be reworded more clearly though...

Chris