[LINK] HP balks at patent provision in GPL update

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Aug 7 15:25:58 AEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 15:14 +1000, Chris Maltby wrote:

> Actually, the other key phrase is "arising from your exercise of rights..."
> as your rights include the right to convey as defined.
>
> In other words the issue of patent enforcement against people who receive
> it from you would be protected because the act of distribution and sub
> distribution is an exercise of the first recipient's rights. That's what
> give the AND highlighted by Craig its force.

The problem as I see it is that there is no covenant between the
original conveyor and person who gets the stuff from you. The authors
and the conveyor agree not to enforce *their* patents against you. Then
if you pass stuff on, you agree not to enforce *your* patents against
the recipient. But there is nothing in there that propagates the
covenant from HP.

That is, if I get something from HP, I am safe from HP. If I give it to
you, you are safe from me. But you are NOT safe from HP!

Regards, K.