[LINK] Re: RFI: P2P's Share of Internet Bandwidth

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Aug 8 11:51:56 AEST 2006

On 2006 Aug 08, at 8:05 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:
> Andrew Odlyzko replied:
>> 	Telegeography (undated):
>> 	http://www.telegeography.com/ee/free_resources/reports/gig/
>> gig_exec_sum.php
>> 	says "On some backbones, peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing accounts
>> for
>> 	a huge proportion of traffic, while on others P2P plays little role
>> 	at all. One thing is clear-at least for now, Web traffic still
>> 	accounts for the largest share of traffic on most networks"

If you download updates for your debian server using http protocol
that is web traffic.
If you go to a shareware software site and download software using
http protocol then that is web traffic.
ditto Windows updates!!!
   That sort of traffic can seriously skew the stats as it is
potentially much larger than conventional web browsing.

RSS/RDF/Atom happens on port 80.  A lot of RSS/RDF/Atom downloads
occur automatically and regularly.  Would this be counted as web
traffic?

If you watch a video in your browser is that web traffic?  If that
video was using say real player then the traffic is not on port 80
but technically it is still web traffic.
If you use Opera and click on a bittorrent link it downloads the
content in the builtin bittorrent client is that web traffic?  If the
opera bittorrent client is integrated to a point where you can watch
videos in the browser is that web traffic?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961