[LINK] Industry Reply on e-Passport Cloning

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Fri Aug 11 20:53:54 AEST 2006

Did I not mention this a week ago :)  (Probably end up in the Supreme Court
on those comments too!)

Creating a mechanism that clones data and is able to re transmit or cause
to be transmitted is easy.

In fact, if you sat near a scanner with a sensitive enough receiver, you
could easily record the data stream - say up to 4 meters away would be
sufficient.

After recording a dozen data streams at an airport check point, you could
easily create clone data, and transmit them in place of the real passports
that are being scanned using a more powerful transmitter.

This is rudimentary communications, lets not get into encryption and
handshakes and such, because there has to be something common each way to
make it all work and as it's wireless it's open to intercept.