[LINK] Industry Reply on e-Passport Cloning

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Sat Aug 12 15:16:22 AEST 2006

Adam

1) e-Passports use Near Field electromagnetic properties (i.e. it is not
like a radio transmitter which uses Far Field properties, but works like
a transformer which uses inductive coupling). The Near Field boundary is
defined at  Wavelength/2xPi  @ 13.56MHz this is about 3.52M  This
defines the theoretical maximum for which this effect works.

The actual distance is dependent on the geometry of the antenna
(inductance and other factors) and how much energy you can transfer to
the tag. Noting that the Power the tag receives is dependent on how much
"flux" it can collect (i.e. area), which is required to power the tags
microcircuit (hence setting a min requirement)

A very simple approximation is that max read range is fixed by the size
of the antenna. However, as shown above, the size of the tags antenna is
also important (greater distance less flux/energy)

Translation: small antenna tag, small read range.

The best I have seen @ 13.56MHz RFID is an antenna frame (which you can
pass through) the size of a small shed, able to read tags that are 30cm
square at about 2 meters. The tags had also been specifically designed
and tuned for this to work.

I would conclude that it would be impossible to read the e-Passport tag
at any significant distance, and certainly not at 4m. It would be
interesting to see how well a tunnel reader would work though!

2) Also the passport has in a metal thread embedded into one of the
pages (forming a ground plane). If the e-Passport is closed, it would be
impossible to read.

3) As pointed out before, even if they did copy a e-Passport, I believe
this will make it easier to catch the fraudsters.

Reg

Geoffrey Ramadan B.E.(Elec)
Chairman, Automatic Data Capture Association (www.adca.com.au)
and