[LINK] Identity theft virus infects 10,000 computers

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Aug 16 09:04:12 AEST 2006

On 2006 Aug 16, at 7:21 AM, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:51:34AM +1000, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>> Currently, the dollar total of losses and expenses due to shoddy
>> software and security break-ins (think zombie boes for example) on
>> Microsoft systems must run into the $$$ BILLIONS for businesses and
>> individuals combined.  Society would benefit as a whole if Mickeysoft
>> were forced by law to provide more secure software.
>
> yes, well, they are claiming that their software is of merchantable
> quality,
> and they are taking good money on that premise.

You know that's an interesting point.  People selling software make
claims for their software, including that it is "of merchantable
quality".  Much FOSS makes no such claims.  I have often thought that
our (and of course the U.S.) "advertising" society creates
litigation.  When you have a "company" making only "positive" public
claims about their product then it really invites and creates an
industry of litigation to balance those claims.  If a product was
advertised like:  "We think our product is OK and does the job
adequately but it's not as good as we'd like and could be dangerous
used the wrong way", it would be much harder to sue.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961