[LINK] Identity theft virus infects 10,000 computers

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Aug 16 17:23:03 AEST 2006

<snip>
>> You know that's an interesting point.  People selling software make
>> claims for their software, including that it is "of merchantable
>> quality".  Much FOSS makes no such claims.  I have often thought that
>> our (and of course the U.S.) "advertising" society creates
>> litigation.  When you have a "company" making only "positive" public
>> claims about their product then it really invites and creates an
>> industry of litigation to balance those claims.  If a product was
>> advertised like:  "We think our product is OK and does the job
>> adequately but it's not as good as we'd like and could be dangerous
>> used the wrong way", it would be much harder to sue.
>

> ...as well as being impossible to sell...

....read about a 10 year saga
#  Unisys Australia Ltd v RACV Insurance Pty Ltd & Anor [2004] VSCA 81
(14 May 2004) (From Supreme Court of Victoria - Court of Appeal; 14 May
2004; 156 KB)
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/cases/vic/VSCA/2004/81.html?query=%7e+racv+vs+unisys

--
Marghanita da Cruz