[LINK] Identity theft virus infects 10,000 computers

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Aug 17 10:09:02 AEST 2006

On 2006 Aug 16, at 4:57 PM, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> Kim Holburn wrote:
>>>
>>> yes, well, they are claiming that their software is of
>>> merchantable quality,
>>> and they are taking good money on that premise.
>> You know that's an interesting point.  People selling software
>> make claims for their software, including that it is "of
>> merchantable quality".  Much FOSS makes no such claims.  I have
>> often thought that our (and of course the U.S.) "advertising"
>> society creates litigation.  When you have a "company" making only
>> "positive" public claims about their product then it really
>> invites and creates an industry of litigation to balance those
>> claims.  If a product was advertised like:  "We think our product
>> is OK and does the job adequately but it's not as good as we'd
>> like and could be dangerous used the wrong way", it would be much
>> harder to sue.
>
> ...as well as being impossible to sell...

Why?  You have to make dubious claims in order to do business?  I
heard a discussion on auntie today about youtube and the new "fad" of
people making their own ads for products they like.  It has become so
popular and is doing so well that the companies involved are starting
to use those ads themselves.  The ads are free (or much less
expensive for the company) and people trust them more because they
weren't *made by the company*.  Says something doesn't it?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961