[LINK] reporting potential illegal activity on the internet

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Fri Aug 18 08:45:17 AEST 2006

Linkers,

This country is such a shambles when it comes to reporting e-crime. I
received a potential money laundering scam, not just a phishing one, and
tried to find an agency that would be able to receive the information. AFP
defers to ACMA who defers to etc etc etc. I ended up being referred back to
where I started.  There are all sorts of 'protect the children from nasty
words' programs, but I'm really disheartened that when it comes to real
crime, they don't have their act together.

Anyone have any advice?  The best I could do was send it to a personal
contact whose address I'm not sure is still active from my participation on
a committee at Austrac. I really don't think that's good enough and will be
writing to a few MPs about the situation.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005