Garbage is big business was Re: [LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Lea de Groot lealink at viking.org.au
Mon Aug 21 11:01:47 AEST 2006

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> ...just some background on this.
>
> The objective here is to monitor domestic waste and to reward people who
> recycle, compost, wormfarm etc rather than chucking everything in the
> one garbage bins. The problem is then we all pay the cost of people who
> are too lazy and don't care...well in keeping with the approach used for
> everything else...why not make them pay for it rather than the whole
> community charging for it...

I've seen this suggested before, although never implemented, and its
always seemed to me that the main issue is some variant of security -
how do you know the resident is responsible for the garbage?

I know that I always fill up the bins of the surrounding dozen houses,
as well as my own, immediately after moving house.
Colloquial evidence suggests I'm not alone.
At the moment, this is fine but implementing this sort of scheme forces
your neighbours to pay for your garbage.
Perhaps if averaged - 'suburb X generates more garbage than suburb Y' -
would be fine, but I suspect that can be managed by the truckload back
at the depot without measuring each bin, anyway.

Lea
~ hi guys, first post :)