[LINK] 171 Australian ICT Standards to be Withdrawn

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Aug 28 09:12:48 AEST 2006

Standards Australia is planning to withdraw Australian Standards
which are more than 10 years old:
<http://www.standards.org.au/cat.asp?catid=135>.

The list of standards to be withdrawn is a bit difficult to read, as
they are grouped in batches by date inspected. I have extracted the
171 ICT standards from the list and sorted them by name:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2006/08/australian-ict-standards-to-be.html>.

Some of the standards are a trip down memory lane (pun intended),
such as "Dimensions and location of rectangular punched holes in 80
column punched paper cards" (AS 1245-1972).

Others bring back painful memories of technology which seemed like a
good idea at the time, such as the GOSIP/OSI series "Open Systems
Interconnection - Connection oriented presentation protocol
specification" (AS 3616-1989).

Some may still have some use, such as the EDI ones: "Message-oriented
text interchange systems Electronic data interchange messaging
service" (AS 4033.8-1998).

Also the Productivity Commission has released a study into the
Australian Government's relationship with Standards Australia
<http://www.pc.gov.au/study/standards/>.

ps: I represent the Australian Computer Society on the Council of
Standards Australia. ACS members can comment to SA on the standards
withdraw via ACS. Of course everyone is free to comment direct to SA.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Director, ACS Communications Tech Board   http://www.acs.org.au/ctb/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml