[LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Aug 28 20:07:53 AEST 2006

Geoff Ramadan wrote:
> I have just spoken to a Solution Provider that provides tracking
> solutions for bins.
>
> The general experience from overseas is that solutions based on weight
> DON'T work.
>
> All it does is encourage home owners to remove or damage the RFID chip,
> or dispose of garbage by some other means.

But Geoff, you are the one who suggested we did not need a user
education program, a few emails back.

...separating paper from containers for recycling doesn't work either
but this didn't stop Leichhardt Council from awarding wast collection
tenders based on this ... I note that Ryde has combined recycle bins.

Didn't notice any references to RFID or how they will be used at
<http://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/services/waste_education.htm>
or
<http://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/services/waste.htm>

there has to be a benefit passed onto users...reduce your waste and pay
lower rates...but it is more likely that it is the opposite...reduce
your waste, but higher rates for systems to monitor waste and which
won't work because those doing the right thing will continue to do so
and the others will circumvent the measures - if the systems work at all.

Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: 0414-869202