[LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Aug 29 11:39:53 AEST 2006

Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Kim Holburn wrote:
>
>> Well, in SA they do this with all drink containers.  Works brilliantly.
>>
>> I have thought for a while that they should introduce a tax on all
>> packaging (well on everything that has to go into landfill).  The tax
>> should go to local councils who have to make room it.  Buy the
>> non-packaged product and save on the packaging.
>

> ...but a lot of the unnecessary packaging is on food stuffs, and there
> you are up against food handling regulations.
<snip>
While we are straying completely off topic...on environmental stuff. The
discussion is useful in clarifying the business case and implementing
better applications of ICT.

It is worth noting the recycling labelling on packaging of imported food
stuffs...Obviously Oz isn't as advanced as we thought...

In India, buyers come to the door and purchase newspapers and bottles.
Sellers also come to the door and sell fresh fish...this was in a
village...but I understand the services in some cities are on a par.
Plastic bags and manufactured goods are becoming a growing problem.

I like the SA bottle refund, wasn't there a story a little while back of
a Victorian Country town saying no to Melbourne's garbage the Victorians
also said no to a new Dam...and the sprukers came to Sydney, but the
drought broke, then they went to the central coast and from the latest
reports they are now working on the Qld government.

Going back to the topic of recycling computers, discussed on link a
while back...for those who did not get the latest issue of Information
Age - you might be interested in the article on Corporate
Governance/Information Security/recycling at
<http://www.acs.org.au/governance/tomcleary.html>

Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications
http://www.ramin.com.au