[LINK] Fwd: Please confirm your message

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Mon Dec 4 21:41:30 AEDT 2006

At 03:56 PM 4/12/2006, Chris Maltby wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 03:01:13PM +1100, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> > > Does anyone else find this kind of behaviour tiresome, frustrating,
> > > and pointless?
>
>On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 03:17:10PM +1100, Steve Jenkin wrote:
> > No - it isn't very widespread yet. If it was universal, would not be a
> > question...
>
>If it was universal, the spammers would work out some way to defeat it.

Oh they have, just as they defeat any other method of SPAM detection
eventually.  Its just that it's so simple to add a rule to TMDA over the
process of SPAM filtering.

One way that has now been resolved was to set the RETURN-PATH header to the
same as the delivery address.  TMDA accepted it as coming from the
destination and let it through.

That's been resolved.

Image Spam isn't so easy to "block" using other spam filter systems,
however, TMDA doesn't care about content of the message, it cares about the
sender and the recipient.

> > As yet, is a reasonable SPAM blocker approach. Not perfect.
>
>It's very irritating when people don't whitelist the email lists
>they subscribe to - it's one thing to seek confirmation from
>random people who mail you directly, another to demand validation
>from people who have no idea they are sending you a message when
>they send it.

Link is white listed.  Actually my link@ address was originally set to
bypass my TMDA account altogether and was sent to a second mailbox account
on my server.  However because of the harvesting of addresses from the LINK
archives and mail list itself, I had to switch it to the quarantine account :(

><rant>It's also yet another example of non-standards compliant
>email handling. Mailman rewrites the envelope sender so that it
>can catch bounces of any kind - but whoever wrote this confirmation
>application wilfully ignores that and replies to the original sender.
>It's not as if mailing lists are a new invention.</rant>

And Mailman messages sent from link are not caught by the quarantine
process.  Otherwise I'd never get a link posting!