[LINK] Future of Community TV

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Fri Dec 8 20:03:18 AEDT 2006

At 05:56 PM 8/12/2006, grove at zeta.org.au wrote:
>On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>
>>George Bray wrote:
>>>Excellent ABC RN Media Report show on the success of CTV on analogue
>>>TV networks and the lack of commitment by government to ensure the
>>>same success on the digital spectrum.
>>>http://www.abc.net.au/rn/mediareport/stories/2006/1804347.htm
>>
>>In Sydney, some kind of Analogue lincensing issue has seen the demise of
>>Channel 31...which had some great content!
>
>TVS along with <insert university here> is AUD 2 million in the hole
>for running costs and other unaccounted overheads because they are having
>trouble getting enough advertising subscriptions to cover costs.

Well maybe if they stopped selling air time only to the people in the
"clickes" and started letting many of the people who actually want to pay
for air time buy it - things might be different.

For two years I've been trying to buy 2 hours a week to screen a different
Weekly Independent Australian Feature film.

I gave up about 6 months ago.  TVS seems not to care or want money for
minutes, nor does it seem to want content that has audience drawing potential.

>Some of these subscriptions do not exactly have to be money - they can
>be services rendered to community and other projects.

TVS doesn't seem to want those either.  Gosh I know many have offered.

It's no surprise that TVS has no daily news show or community today type
show.  Its not hard to make and it's not exactly going to cost anything
with so many people wanting to send off 3 minute news segments.

But TVS is no differently managed than it was with the previously
licensee.  The same factions are in place, just in opposite power.  Bit
like Parliament and an election.  Maybe in 5 years TVS will loose the
licence to the other mob again, but will things change? Nope.

Thank goodness that Community Radio isn't this pathetic.