[LINK] Einstein's fridge an example for NICTA?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Dec 11 16:16:50 AEDT 2006

Brendan Scott wrote:
> The problem with all of this is that benefits are determined by the
> reporting mechanism (eg royalties/money).  Any other benefits are
> automatically discounted to valueless.
>
> Organisations like NICTA have to invest more money in developing
> models which better value their contributions to the economy and
> better justify the investment made in them.

<snip>
> Moderately to strongly disagree with the comments made above.
>
> The problem with all of this is that benefits are determined by the
> reporting mechanism (eg royalties/money).  Any other benefits are
> automatically discounted to valueless.
>
> As I understand it, the Web was developed in Europe and has not been
> a great money spinner for anyone.  On the above analysis, you'd have
> to conclude that it was a waste of funds to invent the Web.  The
> reality of course is somewhat different.

Web was developed at CERN

> CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, is where it all began in March 1989. A physicist, Tim Berners-Lee, wrote a proposal for information management showing how information could be transferred easily over the Internet by using hypertext, the now familiar point-and-click system of navigating through information. The following year, Robert Cailliau, a systems engineer, joined in and soon became its number one advocate.
<http://info.cern.ch/>

The internet protocols came out of a US Defence application...

whose problems are NICTA solving...I have heard arguments that it is
better to fund organisations that use ICT rather than the otherway -
which is what I understand is NICTAs model. Brains the size of the
universe looking for something better to do than open lift
doors...(apologies to Douglas Adams)

> The problem will only be solved by creating metrics which properly
> value the outputs of these organisations.  That value should be

True....the most effective was David Hill - the ABC costs you just
8c/Day in 1988!

On the economic model you might like to read
<http://www.australianreview.net/digest/2006/12/jones.html>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz