[LINK] Einstein's fridge an example for NICTA?

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Dec 13 16:23:12 AEDT 2006

At 02:57 PM 12/11/2006, Evan.ARTHUR at Dest.gov.au wrote:
>... Productivity Commission draft report ...
>http://www.pc.gov.au/study/science/draftreport/index.html.
>Overall the PC's view of the world has much more in common with
>Brendan's than Tom's. ...

My approach got a little support in the PC report:

"There may be a case for providing universities with some additional
funding to demonstrate promising technologies so they can be more
easily transferred to businesses. However, there are several options
for supporting such transfer that do not involve a new dedicated
funding stream."
<http://www.pc.gov.au/study/science/draftreport/keypoints.html>.

The ACS did some of this when we turned our 30 year old research
journal into JRPIT in 2000 <http://acs.org.au/jrpit/>. "Practice" was
added to "Research" and I got the editor to put the business
orientated papers in front of the journal, pushing the scientific
ones (with equations) to the back.

It was this sort of mild encouragement for commercialization of
research I had in mind. Not some system where all the research has to
be self funded and everything is patented. If we can sensitize the
researchers as to the sort of things needed for commercialization,
they may be able to spot what might be useful and how to communicate
their results to business people. Some researcher may decide to make
the ultimate sacrifice of becoming extremely rich. ;-)

It will be interesting to see how we can help Australian industry in
a global open access world. As an example the ARC's new policy might
help, or hinder, Australian business:

>AUSTRALIA has taken a great leap towards research results being
>freely available to all, supporters of the open access movement say.
>
>The Australian Research Council and the National Health and Medical
>Research Council - with total annual grants worth more than
>$1billion - are about to announce their first open access policies. ...

from: ARC sold on open access to research, Bernard Lane, The
Australian, December 13, 2006
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20917528-12332,00.html>.

ps: Have I set a Link record for provoking the most replies to any one post?

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml