[LINK] First ATM

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Dec 14 07:07:26 AEDT 2006

From: Alan L Tyree <alan at austlii.edu.au>
>Does anyone know when and where the first ATM was installed in
Australia?

My memory was that the very first operational ATM was the Nottingham
Building Society in the UK in 1978.  But you'd have thought that
CUSCAL knew what it was talking about.

Sandra Henderson wrote:
>  Web page from the Australian Bankers' Association says 1977
>  (http://www.bankers.asn.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=619) and a separate
>  credit union doc at
>  http://www.ecommerce.treasury.gov.au/bpmreview/content/_download/submiss
>  ions/CUSCAL.pdf also says 1977 (and implies that it was a credit union
>  ATM)

Also:

From: Russell Ashdown <russell at ashdown.net.au>

From: grove at zeta.org.au
>I worked in the Commonwealth Bank at Bankstown in 1981 and we had
one of the first demo units then.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong