[LINK] First ATM

Alan L Tyree alan at austlii.edu.au
Thu Dec 14 08:42:28 AEDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:18:02 +1100
Howard Lowndes <lannet at lannet.com.au> wrote:

> Roger Clarke wrote:
> > From: Alan L Tyree <alan at austlii.edu.au>
> >> Does anyone know when and where the first ATM was installed in
> > Australia?
> >
> > My memory was that the very first operational ATM was the
> > Nottingham Building Society in the UK in 1978.  But you'd have
> > thought that CUSCAL knew what it was talking about.
>
> Going back to the UK, they were well before that.  I was with the
> Midland Bank and our local branch at Melton Mowbray had an ATM
> installed in about '74 or '75 because I left UK in '76 and I used it
> and still have the card somewhere.  Their modus operandi was to use a
> 20 (I think) use plastic card that was embossed each time that it was
> used and the money was (#20 per time IIRC) dispensed in a plastic
> holder which you put back into a slot in the machine.  The idea of
> the use-limited card was to limit the number of withdrawals you could
> do because the ATM was not linked to the user's account it was merely
> a cash dispenser to card holders.

According to this
http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article.php?id=3913&prc=5&page=35

the first "cash dispenser" was installed by Barclay's in 1967. It used
paper vouchers purcased from tellers. The first use of magstripe
cards was at New York Chemical Bank in 1968.

alan

> > At 10:44 +1100 13/12/06, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> >> That sounds right to me. I have been thrown off by the claim on
> >> this link that the Queensland Teachers' Credit Union had one in
> >> 1977: http://www.abacus.org.au/credit_unions/history.htm
> >
> > Sandra Henderson wrote:
> >>  Web page from the Australian Bankers' Association says 1977
> >>  (http://www.bankers.asn.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=619) and a
> >> separate credit union doc at
> >>  http://www.ecommerce.treasury.gov.au/bpmreview/content/_download/submiss
> >>  ions/CUSCAL.pdf also says 1977 (and implies that it was a credit
> >> union ATM)
> >
> > Also:
> >
> > From: Russell Ashdown <russell at ashdown.net.au>
> >> I was based in Perth in 1974 and (I think it was) the Commonwealth
> >> Bank had a pilot ATM set up in their Hay Street branch which
> >> allowed me to withdraw a one-time amount of $200 after hours!!!  I
> >> remember the manager telling me at the time that his branch had
> >> been selected as the pilot.
> >
> > From: grove at zeta.org.au
> >> I worked in the Commonwealth Bank at Bankstown in 1981 and we had
> > one of the first demo units then.
> >

> --
> Howard.
> LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people
> <http://lannetlinux.com> When you want a computer system that works,
> just choose Linux; When you want a computer system that works, just,
> choose Microsoft. --
> Flatter government, not fatter government; abolish the Australian
> states.

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662