[LINK] Australian government open access policy for research publishing?

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Dec 18 09:51:59 AEDT 2006

Looks like a good move:

From: "ARC sold on open access to research", Bernard Lane, The
Australian, December 13, 2006
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20917528-12332,00.html>.

This followed a submission to the ARC by Professor Arthur Sale, which
I signed on behalf of the ACS
<http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/%7Eharnad/Hypermail/Amsci/5379.html>. The
ACS Digital Library uses the repository format which Professor Sale
proposed (no surprise there as he pushed us to do the digital library).

Larger universities are building their own digital repositories, but
the smaller ones may not have a suitable system. But if authors
publish in an open access journal with an OAI interface, that makes
the results automatically available.

ps: The endorsement of Professor Sale's proposal by the ACS set some
sort of record. Arthur emailed the draft to me saying it was due at
the ARC that day. This was during an ACS council meeting, so I
emailed it to the secretariat at the end of the table. The executive
went into a thirty second huddle and approved it. I then emailed
Arthur back a few minutes later to say we had endorsed it.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml