[LINK] Oldest registered .au domain?

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Nov 8 05:16:55 AEDT 2006

On 07/11/2006, at 10:58 PM, Ash Nallawalla wrote:

>> From: Ivan Trundle [mailto:ivan at itrundle.com]
>
>> So who came first in .com.au?
>
> Not sure if you are asking for .au or .com.au.

Pretty clear, I thought: .com.au. I've read ancient Link discussions
on the history of .au and internet development thanks to Roger's fine
work, but there seemed to be a documented gap in the history of .com.au.

Looks like we have a collective gap in memory, or, more to the point,
it relies on one person resurfacing, or on someone resurrecting old
hard disks.

I was going to ask 'Where is the first published evidence of a
'.com.au' address used in advertising, or used to publish the fact
that a commercial organisation had an online presence...' but thought
that this would be too specific.

The Australian Library and Information Association declared itself to
be the first in the .org.au space (hitching a ride on the National
Library's web server), but this isn't verifiable, either.

iT