[LINK] seventh most popular NYTimes article today

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Nov 12 12:37:38 AEDT 2006

> i also expect to see lots of political advertisements encouraging
> residential users to install compact-fluoro light globes....which isn't
> a bad thing in itself, the problem is that (like the residential water
> savings propaganda) it is a deliberate distraction from the real source
> of the problem (coal power and pointless industries like aluminium
> smelting in the case of climate change, and industrial and especially
> agricultural wastage in the case of water).

I think things like the flouro and water-saving "propaganda" have a
beneficial effect, in that they help sensitise people to the issues. If
someone is making a real effort, they are that much less likely to find
things like coal power acceptable - and they vote.

The other thing that sensitised people are prepared to do is learn (so
they can tell real green from pseudo-green) and pay more for real green
stuff - and that provides a financial incentive for people to compete
against the non-green industries.

It's important not to let "perfect" get in the way of "good", and any
start is a good start.

Regards, K.