[LINK] Public service on-job training

brd at iimetro.com.au brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Nov 14 09:57:19 AEDT 2006

Public service on-job training
Karen Dearne
NOVEMBER 14, 2006
The Australian
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20752224%5E15317%5E%5Enbv%5E15306,00.html

CANBERRA recruiters hope to attract Generation Xboxers to public service jobs
through a $4 million technology apprenticeship pilot scheme next year.

Up to 60 young computer guns and gamers will be placed in various government
agencies for workplace training combined with study at the Canberra Institute
of Technology.

The two-year program, suitable for school leavers and others looking for a
career in information technology, was launched yesterday by Special Minister of
State Gary Nairn.

Apprentices will start on $15,500, rising to $31,000 by the time they've
completed Certificate IV qualifications in IT.

"For someone interested in IT who doesn't necessarily want to go down the
university path, this is a fairly painless way to enter the industry," he said.

"It should also appeal to those who want to get straight into the workforce and
earn a bit of money while doing some study along the way."

Providing trainee positions for school leavers has been identified as a way of
dealing with present and projected shortfalls in ICT skills.

"We'll be watching to see what lessons can be learned from this pilot," Mr Nairn
said.

"If there's momentum for an expanded Australian public service apprenticeship
program in future, there'll be scope to look at that."

Courses will be tailored for each student by the agencies and training
organisations.

Mr Nairn said trainees could look forward to good careers in IT and in the
public sector.

"We need to attract people to the public service for a balanced approach," he
said.

"We need a mix of public servants and vendor-supplied or private-sector
resources to manage the IT infrastructure.

"These are long-term plans. People may wish to move on after a few years, but
the hope is that they'll stay."

The apprentices will receive public service training in career skills and
personal development as well as access to industry workshops and seminars.

--
Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn