[LINK] Eudora email moves to open source

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Wed Nov 15 10:08:49 AEDT 2006

On 14/11/2006, at 7:42 PM, grove at zeta.org.au wrote:

> I use PINE everywhere, even on OSX.   I will never give it up.

When I started at the National Library in 1995, Pine was the standard
email client.  We had around 150 concurrent Pine users on a
RS6000/320, which was a 20Mhz POWER (PowerPC predecessor) box.  It
used to sit with a load average of 90 but was still quite usable for
all that.

Now I'm using MacOS X Mail via IMAP on a MacBook Pro to access both a
Lotus Notes 7 server and a FreeBSD server via IMAP.  It handles the
multiple accounts and multiple identities very well.  It also
accesses the organisation's LDAP server for addresses.  Accessing
Notes via IMAP also presents meeting invitations in the .ics format
which are picked up by iCal automatically letting me manage meetings
and appointments which are then synchronised with my Nokia mobile
phone using over bluetooth via iSync.  The only fly in the ointment
is the Notes calendar busy time.  To make my calendar visible to
everyone else in the organisation who are running the Notes client
<ugh> once I have the meeting invitations into iCal I then launch the
MacOS X Notes client and add the same meetings to my Notes calendar.
Unfortunately meeting organisers get the "accepted" response twice
from me, but Notes must do something weird as no-one has commented
about it back to me!

It's all a little complex, and I'm hoping the updates to iCal in 10.5
and improvements in Notes will converge letting me manage the
calendar without the double handling. <fingers crossed>

BTW I was using Thunderbird but iCal *always* sends its responses
using MacOS X Mail which was annoying, and the whole file type
handling thing seemed massively broken in Thunderbird making it
difficult to work in an environment where mailing around word and
excel documents is the norm.  <sigh>

Carl.
(who banned his team from producing word documents and made them use
TWiki <http://www.twiki.org> instead.)