[LINK] Why Electronic Voting?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Nov 17 21:40:52 AEDT 2006

While I tend agree with both of you, I also think that these
arguments work just as well against our current democracy.

On 2006/Nov/17, at 2:56 PM, Stewart Fist wrote:
> I think there is perhaps a place for participatory democracy in some
> strictly-limited areas of policy, but if you look at the success and
> failures of the Proposition system in California, the damage done
> to some of
> the State's institutions has largely offsets any value they may
> have had in
> other ways.
>
> The winner of any participatory democracy race is the media and media
> moguls.  These messengers are the only ones who can exert enough
> influence
> over voters to determine the winners and losers.
>
> Well-funded corporations supported by advertising-hungry media will
> win
> every time.  And they often hide behind (supposedly) concerned
> citizen's-rights groups, which are backed in secret by professional
> lobbyists and corporate funding.
>
> I had the same concerns over the idea of the popular elections of a
> President in the Republic debate.   It would have been won by Alan
> Jones or
> John Laws, funded by Kerry Packer or Rupert Murdoch (or both).

I always preferred the idea of an elected president for Australia and
so I think did a lot of Australians but I think to work, it would
require major changes in our constitution and parliamentary customs
(which seem to be as important in some ways as the constitution).
And yes we would probably get the odd public figure (Arnie anyone?)
but I don't know, isn't the idea of a democracy that people elect who
they want within the limited choice they are given.  Don't we have to
trust them in that?  What choice do we have after all?

As long as we get to change the government regularly I'm not sure it
really matters.  They all seem to get just as corrupt when they've
been in office a while.

Kim

--
Kim Holburn