[LINK] The Fanatics - Copyright Bill 2006

Brendan Scott brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 21 09:52:13 AEDT 2006

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 08:20 AM 21/11/2006, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> If the song or play that you are performing has been written down then
>> it is copyrighted.
>
> Here's a strange case going on re the Ashes cricket. The Fanatics have
> produced a booklet of their own lyrics to be sung to tunes that EMI
> (music rights organisation I think) holds the rights to. EMI has taken
> out an injunction against distribution of the booklets even though NONE
> of their music is printed in the booklet, just references to the title.

This has to be a text book example of how politically brain dead these changes are.  How many times will the Government be able to stand up and say "it's a good thing we're preventing songs at the Ashes".  Copyright is not usually much of a political issue. Just wait till people start using it for vendettas.  This sort of malarky is a political time bomb.

As I have said earlier, there is too much ideology in this Bill and not enough (any?) common sense.