[LINK] RFC: Web 2.0

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Nov 25 20:49:01 AEDT 2006

At 04:09 PM 25/11/2006, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>Hardly!
>
>Google for this: "didn't used to" canadian
>as but one example of extra-Strine usage.
>
>Well, maybe they didn't used to use didn't used to but now they're used to it
>in Canada.

Love it, Rick!

>Isn't the construction 'didn't used to' specifically Strine?

Good question. I don't know the differences any more, so I guess
saturation has been reached. The one usage I know that has crept in
is 'bit', as in a 'bit of this' or 'just a bit of...'. I've also
heard quite a few Australianisms in US TV now. The main one being 'no worries'!

>If so, Jan, congrats, that's even better than a nationalisation
>ceremony!  (Or should that be 'neutralisation' ceremony?).

and I voted for the first time today in a real election. Councils
don't count in my mind. Took all of 2 minutes! Sort of anticlimactic.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005