[LINK] RFC: Web 2.0

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sun Nov 26 16:42:09 AEDT 2006

My thanks to the many contributors to this thread.  Together with
comments from other colleagues, I feel I now have a much better grasp
of the various aspects of the Web 2.0 notion.

What I've written about AJAX will be displeasing to many observers,
and I particularly invite your comment on the new section 5.1, at:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/Web2C.html#AltT

It concludes as follows:
"From the user's perspective, however, control of the browser-window
by an application running on the server represents subversion of the
concept of the Web and hijack of the functions of the browser.
Marketers have repeatedly tried to bully the Web into a means of
'pushing' ads to consumers, despite the inherently 'pull' nature of
the HTTP protocol.  AJAX at last provides an environment in which the
advertiser's dream of web-casting can be implemented".

Thanks again!

The primary areas of change I made to the draft paper were as follows:

-   I'm now treating the O'Reilly et al. approach as the mainstream
     commercial approach, rather than the sole interpretation

-   I've added a section that explains two other interpretations:
     5.1 the technical perspective, focusing on AJAX
     5.2 the communitarian perspective

-   I've tried to make the section on key features more cumulative
     and less staccato.  (I'm a lousy essayist, so it's still a bit
     too much like a business report, and not intellectual enough)

-   I've done the usual tidying-up exercise and added some references

           Towards an Understanding of the Web 2.0 Notion
       http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/Web2C.html

There is considerable excitement about the notion of 'Web 2.0',
particularly among among Internet businesspeople. In contrast, there
is an almost complete lack of formal literature on the topic. It is
important that movements with such energy and potential be subjected
to critical attention, and that industry and social commentators have
the opportunity to draw on the information systems literature in
formulating their views. This paper performs a tentative assessment
of Web 2.0, with a view to stimulating further work that applies
existing theories, proposes new ones, observes and measures
phenomena, and tests the theories.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong