[LINK] Hidden device in parking bays

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Nov 28 09:38:26 AEDT 2006

Andy Farkas wrote:
> I'm guessing the revenue from fines will offset the expense of digging up
> the asphalt in areas where they want to use these devices, and councils
> will post "sorry for the inconvenience" type signs whilst the work happens:
>
> <http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20816995-661,00.html>
>
> "MOTORISTS will be sitting ducks as councils launch a hi-tech parking
> blitz that
> will rip hundreds of millions of dollars in fines from Victorians.

Sounds like an excellent application to me but ofcourse it is the
implementation that is the issue.

<rant>.
If you object to parking limits and fines as the penalty for infringing
them...then you should question the law not its policing and the
challenge is to do this in the best interests of the community.

Similarly with dogs in public places. The law says that they should be
on leashes and owners should clean up.

Yet you cannot walk in a park in peace and would be foolish to walk or
sit on the grass and even on footpaths without watching your step  and
to add to the mess, the rubbish bins full of dog crap in plastic bags
sometimes end up floating in the harbour. Dog owners abuse inspectors or
others using the park, who suggest the dogs should be on leashes.

Then there is the p platers furore...and the speed camera stuff

but having said that, there needs to be a system of disputing fines
without the need for lawyers and court cases...this is based on a one
off experience of being a character witness for a female friend who
received a fine for littering by throwing a cigarette butt out the
window. the friend does not smoke and after a whole day of hanging
around, the case finally came up before the magistrate, the character
witnesses were not required and the magistrate pointed out to the lawyer
for the over zealous council workers that following a driver who they
thought they saw light up a cigarette driving home late at night is
stalking. The lawyer for the council had the gall to say in passing to
me that this case was small fry...they usually work in the land and
environment court. Ofcourse as a rate payer in the particular council,
my friend was footing the bill.

It is with some relief that I recently caught the Trash of the Titans
episode of the Simpsons ...but googling it, indicates this episode was
from 1998!
<http://www.tv.com/episode/1485/summary.html>

</rant - sorry, can't remember whether I should credit RC, IT or BRD for
this bit of HTML>

PS. Cat owners don't feel too smug unless you have a cat that lives
indoors.
PPS. you may have guessed I do not have shares in any pet food companies
--
Marghanita da Cruz
Phone: 0414-869202