[LINK] Hidden device in parking bays

Paul McGowan paul.mcgowan at yawarra.com.au
Tue Nov 28 13:12:18 AEDT 2006

Andy reckoned:

> I'm guessing the revenue from fines will offset the expense of digging up
> the asphalt in areas where they want to use these devices, and councils
> will post "sorry for the inconvenience" type signs whilst the work happens:

Having read the article, it occurred to me that the same devices
could be used to make the council into heroes _and_ fix the traffic
problem by erecting signs advising motorists that they can be warned
when the time was nearly up by sending an SMS to a particular number.

The same sign would also serve to provide fair warning that if they
overstay, they *will* be fined.

Make the SMS number a paid service and the driver has a choice:

a) Don't SMS and take the chance of a fine.
b) Pay a few of dollars to be warned in advance of when they need to
move (ie. hear about it *before* the parking inspector)

Either way, the council can make money, and they solve the parking
problem.

<cynical>
However, this doesn't address the need for revenue collection which
the council has come to rely on, it only addresses the "problem" they
*claim* to be solving.  ie. Parking congestion.
</cynical)

That said, it might not be a bad bet (revenue-wise) since more people
will voluntarily pay for the warning that might otherwise be fined.
A small amount from a lot of people, who actually thank you for it.
The council get to be the good guys, and still make money.

Personally, I'd love to have a warning 10 minutes before the parking
inspector gets it.

That was all.

Cheers,

Paul McGowan