[LINK] Industry defends security of bank customers' data

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Oct 7 16:26:27 AEST 2006

At 15:56 +1000 7/10/06, Howard Lowndes wrote:
><hfl>
>The very fact that it's the ABA that is flying this kite and not the
>gummint, makes my BS meter max out.
></hfl>

Add to that the fact that at least some of these are outsourcing
contracts, not bank subsidiaries operating overseas.  The terms of
such contracts are unlikely to be publicly available - and unlikely
to be effective in exercising control over low quality work, and
abuse of personal data.  The countries in which labour rates are
attractively low generally have no law, and no framework for
enforcing any law that they do have.

In short, the likelihood of breach of NPP9 is very high.

But the Privacy Commissioner is unlikely to do anything about it, for
fear of becoming a burden on business.