[LINK] Airport to tag passengers

Stephen Loosley stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Oct 17 16:54:12 AEST 2006

At 10:36 AM 17/10/2006, Geoff Ramadan wrote:

> From the RFID privacy perspective, there are guidelines
> you can turn to. So far from what I can tell, this application
> meets those guidelines.

"The EPCglobal Network is a set of technologies, including RFID, that enable immediate, automatic identification and sharing of information on items in the supply chain. In that way, the EPCglobal Network will make organisations more effective by enabling true visibility of information about items in the supply chain. Using these technologies, the EPCglobal Network will provide for immediate, automatic, and accurate identification and location of any item in the supply chain anywhere in the world, irrespective of company or industry."

EPCglobal, Inc.  Public Policy Steering Committee (PPSC)
Frequently Asked Questions on Guidelines on EPC for Consumer Products
http://www.epcglobalinc.org/public/ppsc_faq/

 Background

The Guidelines on EPC Usage for Consumer Products were adopted as a basic framework for responsible use and deployment of EPC. The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below provide guidance on current EPC issues.

•  Why did EPCglobal adopt the Guidelines?

EPCglobal knows that earning consumer trust is integral to adoption of this technology. EPC global and its members are committed to the responsible deployment and use of EPC as they capture the benefits of the technology. The guidelines provide a practical and useful framework to help members achieve that objective.

•  To what products do the Guidelines apply?

The Guidelines apply to consumer product goods with EPC tags that are intended to come under an individual's control and are intended for individual consumer use. The vast majority of consumer products that are purchased will not be tagged with an EPC at the item level for a number of years.

Consumer Notice

•  Who is primarily responsible for consumer notice?

It is important for all members to provide clear notice to consumers as set forth in the Guidelines so that consumers know that the product they are purchasing contains an EPC tag. Responsibility for achieving this objective resides with both manufacturers and retailers through broad-scale cooperation.

•  Manufacturers may include EPC tags on all their products, including those sold to retailers who do not use the technology. What is the responsibility of such retailers to comply with the “notice” provisions under the Guidelines?

The guidelines state that all consumers will be provided with clear notice of the presence of EPC. EPCglobal expects that all products produced by members containing EPC tags will bear the logo required by the Guidelines. EPCglobal encourages all retailers who know that EPC tags are on products they sell to help in efforts to make consumers aware of the tags.

•  Some products are so small that any consumer notice on the product either destroys the overall packaging impact of the product or would not be readily noticed. How will EPCglobal members comply with the notice requirement in such a circumstance?

In rare circumstances, it may be impractical to include the EPC logo on a product in a way that is both meaningful and aesthetically neutral. In those circumstances, members must look at other available opportunities to ensure that consumers are made aware of the presence of an EPC tag on the product. Although EPCglobal cannot specify a single best approach in this situation, it anticipates that members manufacturing or selling these products will cooperate in developing appropriate methods to satisfy the objective of consumer notice.

Consumer Choice

•  What options regarding EPC tags must be given to consumers to comply with the Guidelines?

The Guidelines require that consumers be informed of the choices that are available to discard or remove or in the future disable EPC tags from the products they acquire. As EPC technology evolves, EPCglobal also expects the nature and quality of these choices to evolve. Although not available today, development of efficient, affordable and reliable technology to disable EPC tags is an objective supported by EPCglobal.

EPCglobal believes that most products will have disposable EPC tags to provide consumers with effective control over the tag. In some situations, though, the EPC tag may be embedded within the structure of a product, making it impossible or impractical for a manufacturer or retailer to provide any “choice” for a consumer to dispose of the tag. In such cases, manufacturers and retailers should engage in broad-scale cooperation to ensure consumers understand prior to purchase that the product contains an embedded EPC tag. Methods through which companies comply with the notice objective for such a product may be broader in order to address this issue.

Consumer Education

•  Whose responsibility is it to educate the public about EPC? How will that be done?

EPCglobal is committed to ongoing consumer education about EPC, including its benefits and limitations. EPCglobal has established a Public Policy Steering Committee with one group focused on supporting programs of consumer and other constituency communications and education. The goal is to increase awareness and understanding of EPC so that every consumer will come to recognize the EPC logo as an indication that EPC tags are present.

The EPCglobal website, www.epcglobalinc.org contains specific information about EPC systems and tags.

---