[LINK] Victorian 'Smartcard' data privacy info

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Oct 31 17:31:29 AEDT 2006

At 5:02 PM +1100 31/10/06, Paul B wrote:
>For anyone interested on the new Victorian Ticketing 'smartcard'
>privacy information document, the policy is on their website at
>http://www.myki.com.au/default_privacy-policy.aspx under "TTA
>Privacy Management Plan and Policy"  (sorry big link I didnt want to
>paste in).

I had a quick look at the anonymity option.

http://www.myki.com.au/use-myki_your-key.aspx
"Most people will have the choice of purchasing and using an anonymous myki"

But there appears to be nothing that explains how you top up an
anonymous card.  An anonymous option that's hopelessly inconvenient
is an excuse, not an option.  (For an example, see the disgusting
arrangements with Melbourne CityLink, and the new Sydney Western
Ringroad 77).

I don't want to be unduly negative, because this is a 10-year-old
solution that's been cocked up many times in many places, especially
(but not only) in Australia.  But the lack of hard information on the
site makes you fear that thet may have cocked it up again ...

[And why did they choose a brandname that sounds a lot like the
extremist Malaysian MyKad, and that people will inevitably take the
'myki' out of??]

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong