[LINK] Australian post can't redirect mail

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Mon Sep 4 16:27:15 AEST 2006

I am miffed.

For about three years I've been redirecting mail addressed to MY post
office box of more than ten years to wherever I happen to be for long or
short periods of time.

It's been great, because it doesn't matter what people write on the
enevelop the mail always gets to me.

Some people send me mail addressed to "Something About AJ" which of course
is a film title.  Others send it to "AJ"  or "Brook" (My son, or maybe it's
my wife??)  and so on.

But today I discovered that my mail has for the last 6 months been tampered
with internally at the post office and under influence by my father.  In
fact the manager at the post office said "This is your fathers post office
box not yours" and what's more interesting is that I've only met him twice
in 8 years.  He seems to know who my father is!  I've never introduced him
to my father!  not to mention I actually don't know which of the many
people at the post office he is, which I've attended probably 3 times in
the last 5 years.

So what connection does my father have to my post office box?  None, ever.

Over the last few weeks mail has been "missing" and I've started to get
e-mails from people saying mail is being returned.

But was is weirder than just a few letters going wrong.  I've had people
telling me mail addressed explicitly to me is being returned, some of it
open.  Even the Crown Solicitor has sent me a letter (that did get through)
telling me registered mail sent to my PO BOX has been returned to them, and
they added "opened" or "tampered".

It's amazing, really.  I can put a redirect on a Domain Name, or even an IP
address. I can redirect an individual e-mail address or an entire domain
address space, I can even wild card it.

But here we are, with the simplest of mail redirections at the POST OFFICE
level, to have the mail put in a redirection envelop once or twice a week
as required and send it to whatever address I require, and it's not happening.

But for three years it worked well.

Why is this?