[LINK] Google developing eavesdropping software

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Mon Sep 4 16:52:34 AEST 2006

Google developing eavesdropping software
Audio 'fingerprint' for content relevant ads
By Faultline
Sunday 3rd September 2006 08:02 GMT
The Register
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/03/google_eavesdropping_software/

The first thing that came out of our mouths when we heard that Google is
working on a system that listens to what's on your TV playing in the
background, and then serves you relevant adverts, was "that's cool, but
dangerous".

The idea appeared in Technology Review citing Peter Norvig, director of
research at Google, who says these ideas will show up eventually in real
Google products - sooner rather than later.

The idea is to use the existing PC microphone to listen to whatever is
heard in the background, be it music, your phone going off or the TV
turned down. The PC then identifies it, using fingerprinting, and then
shows you relevant content, whether that's adverts or search results, or
a chat room on the subject.

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn