What is IP and whose interests does copyright protect Re: [LINK] web site choices.

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Sep 6 10:13:22 AEST 2006

Roger Clarke wrote:
> Marghanita wrote: ...
>
>> so, back to webpages...I have a copyright notice stuck on the bottom
>> of the Ramin Communications site, to protect them from other IT
>> consultants, historians - people who would profit from my work. But at
>> the same time, I hope to influence people with the ideas.
>

> Reducing the information overload, I reckon that CC 'by-nc-nd' is the
> appropriate licence for circumstances like yours (and mine), i.e.:
> -   Attribution please
> -   No commercial use
> -   No derivatives

isn't attribution please, no derivatives contradictory?

let's look at academic publishing...you have to publish first to get
credit for the idea..but it is then the number of people who take it up
and what develops from your contribution that makes it valuable...

> It's the *least* liberal CC licence, but far looser and more
> user-friendly than 'All Rights Reserved' kinds of licences.
>
> Base version (US):
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/au/
>
> Australian licences:
> http://creativecommons.org.au/licences
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.1/au/
>

> Re video, yes it gets *far* more complicated, because there are layers
> of rights, and layers of licences.  But this is exactly what the
> 'Creative' part of 'CC' is about, so they're supposed to be doing that
> kind of thinking on behalf of all youse creative types, and saving youse
> the trouble.  Me, I know nussing about video!!!

relating this back to text, it is the issue of which format you choose
to publish in...

...you see publishing in a proprietary format locks up the
information...I think this was the discussion we were having a little
while back about digital archives...

--
Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications