What is IP and whose interests does copyright protect Re: [LINK] web site choices.

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Sep 6 10:42:12 AEST 2006

At 10:13 +1000 6/9/06, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>isn't attribution please, no derivatives contradictory?

Making a derivative involves direct use of a substantial portion of
the material, and adaptation to something different, e.g. translation
to another language, or absorption into a longer and different
publication.

Using ideas isn't prevented.  Nor is the use of terms, definitions,
or quotations, even quite lengthy ones.

(In my case, I need the protection that 'no derivatives' affords me,
because I say things that annoy people - and, to a considerable
extent, I *intend* to annoy them.  I can't afford people having a
licence to reproduce and adapt my material outside my control:  hang
me for what I said if you have to, but not for what someone makes me
appear to have said).

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong