[LINK] ISP Peering / Tech List?

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Fri Sep 8 10:29:47 AEST 2006

At 12:08 PM 7/09/2006, George Bray wrote:
>Is there a mailing list where aussie ISPs congregate these days?

As far back as 1991 the ISP's haven't been able to team up together and do
anything.  I doubt, based on my limited current knowledge, there are in
fact many ISPs left.

Certainly none like they use to and most are reselling someone else's DSL
or port products anyway.

>I'd like to ask some general questions about how peering multicast
>services might work.

Won't work.  Can already tell you.

Consumers who have DSL services with capped bandwidth limits aren't going
to be happy when their limit is reached in the first 20 minutes of their
billing cycle because of multi-cast data.

This issue has already been a major factor in streams of complaints when
ISPs with DSL delivery services broadcast ARP and other Network Broadcast
traffic that has nothing to do with the remote user/network.

When you have a 200 MB cap a month, the last thing you want is the other
200 networks broadcast data on your interface.

>I'm trying to guage the feasability of using multicast to deliver
>services via Australia's ISPs, so I need to understand whether they're
>technically equipped to do so and what the political scene is between
>peers. What barriers exist for delivering multicast network services
>to a) a users' ISP and b) the end user.

Most ISPs now only resell some other providers DSL product.  As the
requirement would be to turn on broadcasting for all ports, (no one is
going to sit down and maintain a list of who gets what on what port, trust
me on that) and whilst cap traffic limits remain in place, it isn't going
to happen.

Consumers will scream.

Then again, the entire process might well remove the traffic charging
regime that is now long past it's useby date and focus on the fundamental
of network infrastructure and delivery rather than counting bytes and
taxing users.

But do you want consumers to experience 33k6 network speeds for 28 days of
the month?  Or in the case of Telstra Big Pond, be charged $3000 a month
for traffic they didn't even see!

If this were to happen, people will turn their "always on" DSL boxes ALWAYS
OFF and only TURN them ON when they need to.

>Would it be fair to say that most end users have multicast filtered
>either by their ISP or their ADSL/Router/Gateway?

Nope.  I don't.  And I know I can send and receive it with a little push
and pull.  But who in reality want's my multicast security video stream and
my multicast edit suite steams anyway?