[LINK] ISP Peering / Tech List?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Sep 8 13:47:02 AEST 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006, Adam Todd wrote:
> At 12:08 PM 7/09/2006, George Bray wrote:
> >Is there a mailing list where aussie ISPs congregate these days?
>
> As far back as 1991 the ISP's haven't been able to team up together and do
> anything.  I doubt, based on my limited current knowledge, there are in
> fact many ISPs left.

ISPs were pretty good at teaming up to do stuff. Look at the industry
bodies that sprung up in the mid-90s; look at the peering fabrics.

> Consumers who have DSL services with capped bandwidth limits aren't going
> to be happy when their limit is reached in the first 20 minutes of their
> billing cycle because of multi-cast data.

Well, you only get multicast data when you've subscribed to it.
You do this by running some multicast client which subscribes to the
group and then traffic arrives.

The question is: whats available via multicast in today's world which
isn't available by unicast?

Adrian