[LINK] ISP Peering / Tech List?

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sun Sep 10 18:30:53 AEST 2006

At 01:47 PM 8/09/2006, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 08, 2006, Adam Todd wrote:
> > At 12:08 PM 7/09/2006, George Bray wrote:
> > >Is there a mailing list where aussie ISPs congregate these days?
> >
> > As far back as 1991 the ISP's haven't been able to team up together and do
> > anything.  I doubt, based on my limited current knowledge, there are in
> > fact many ISPs left.
>
>ISPs were pretty good at teaming up to do stuff. Look at the industry
>bodies that sprung up in the mid-90s;

What industry bodies!

>  look at the peering fabrics.

What peering fabrics?

You mean the ones where the smaller ISPs pay twice the real cost to be able
to deliver data to the larger Carriers networks, which they then charge the
end users for as well?

> > Consumers who have DSL services with capped bandwidth limits aren't going
> > to be happy when their limit is reached in the first 20 minutes of their
> > billing cycle because of multi-cast data.
>
>Well, you only get multicast data when you've subscribed to it.
>You do this by running some multicast client which subscribes to the
>group and then traffic arrives.

<rofl>  Oh maybe on a network where the provider is commercially delivering
mutlicast - but what Graham is talking about is where anyone can "randomly"
choose the stream.

>The question is: whats available via multicast in today's world which
>isn't available by unicast?

unicast is beneficial to a small degree.

The problem of course with unicast is if you have 3000 users all pulling
the same data from the same server you ingress and egress 3000 streams.

Whereas multicast, you only deal with one.  Say for example everyone wants
to watch the Turkey Slap on Big Brother.  (rofl)

OK, so the solution is the ISP puts in a reflector and brings in one stream
and then delivers locally to each user.  Nice, simple.  But the ISP doesn't
know what the users are streaming - and technically shouldn't be snooping!

And this brings us back to cable/carrier delivered services.  Of course
they Multicast everything down that cable network, even stuff you don't
know about!  Why, because they can and people will subscribe.

They advertise the the subscribers (and non-subscribers to churn them from
other providers with broader content offerings) but that doesn't help Joe's
ISP.