[LINK] Moved to Linux

Robin Stephens robinstephens at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 15:46:17 AEST 2006

On 9/11/06, Richard Chirgwin <rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Replying to a couple of other posts, without particularly remembering
> who to quote:
> - I haven't worked out where fast user switching is to be found in
> Linspire. This won't worry me most of the time as there's only a single
> user account anyhow.

In Ubuntu,

System->Quit->Switch User

Then ctrl-alt-f7 and ctrl-alt-f8 to switch back and forward.

> - Linspire instead of Ubuntu: for the drivers. The primary user of this
> machine is my wife; she mostly uses it for work, and so my own "comfort
> zone" is that I don't have to try and diagnose "something isn't working"
> over the phone.

http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

Loads all the commercial winmodem, graphics card, etc drivers.
Installs and configures all DVD playing, burning, browser plugins,
Java, the works.

> - HPLIP's claims to support the 2600n are smoke; I wasted a couple of
> hours on it. Whereas pretending the printer is an Apple LasterWriter and
> letting Ghostscript do the rest works just fine. Because the 2600n
> doesn't accept PDF printing, I can't just treat it as a generic printer.

Listed as mostly supported under CUPS.  Should just plugin and work

Robin