[LINK] Moved to Linux

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Mon Sep 11 17:39:42 AEST 2006

At 12:51 PM 11/09/2006, Howard Lowndes wrote:

>Adam Todd wrote:
>>But hard drives are cheap.  300 gigs for under $150 now.  Laptop hard
>>drives are 120 gig for around $150.
>>What you want to load other software?  Why?
>>Gone are the days of the diskless workstation!  There is no real cost
>>benefit or saving and remote boot workstations are hard to run in
>>principal these days.
>
>not if you want to keep your sanity or are really determined to keep your
>workstations locked down - and don't start about "think about the users
>and their personal quirks", workstations are tools to get a job done, not
>toys to tinker with.

Hey I'm not arguing against it!  But the reality is, Gone are the days!

>I recall in the early days of Word and Excel, how long the bean counters
>used to spend "prettying up" their financial reports to council with fonts
>and colours despite the councillors for years previously having the
>figures in vanilla font and black on white.

And strangely people just want vanilla black and white preferably in Time
Roman or worst case Courier.  And please NO COLOURS!  REALLY!

>Nowadays corporate workstations tend to be Tinka Toys and not even Tonka Toys.

There is nothing worse than going to service a workstation that has dark
purple and deep pink everything!  ERGH!  Might as well have monochrome
monitors!

>It's bad enough being confronted with a workstation covered in soft toys
>and stickit notes and the user has gone to lunch with the password...

Hehehe!  Or worse when you come in, the next morning, to find your CMOS
password has been changed by the "other tech" because "microsoft" had been
in that night increasing the available memory to only 592K when the night
before the fiddles without your consent, you got it to 615K!

(Ok that's old!  But it's true!)

>>I guess Vista won't be booting off any USB drives in the near future :)
>>I think the largest I've seen is 4 GB :)
>that'll be one blessing...

Hmmm, I'm looking at a nice 4GB Oozbie Drive right now!  And I'm thinking
"Two Oozbies one for Windows XP and one for Linux ... and all that free
space on my Hard drive!!