[LINK] Moved to Linux

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Tue Sep 12 11:10:04 AEST 2006

Marghanita wrote:

> PS. Richard I agree that as Newbie you go with the easiest. I
> myself, as
> a Linux Newbie, tried Fedora (given two disk set), an Open Skills
> version of Debian (paid for disk) and ended up using Knoppix (single
> disk), which came on with a magazine. However, last year
> Ubuntu (breezy
> badger) came across my path and I would have to say, it looks
> very good.
> My only obstacle to switching over  is that I use netscape as a mail
> client...and was not sure whether to use Thunderbird or the other one
> (which I understand interfaces with MS mail server) on Ubuntu.
>
> On the topic of Canon Printers, there seemed to be a general
> consensus
> that there is a lack of support from Canon for Linux, but I
> have it on
> good authority that this attitude has changed. Epson was
> apparently much
> more supportive and my Epson printer worked with Knoppix.
>
> My notes on Linux are at www.ramin.com.au/linux

Thanks Marghanita. My experience is similar. I've tried every Linux distro that I could get my hands on over a period of a couple of years. It was fun to tinker and I loved it, but with my limited knowledge nothing could let me make the switch. K/Ubuntu came close, but though Dapper Drake would connect to my wireless network while I was running it live, as soon as I installed it the wireless became unworkable. "Go figure" as the Yanks say. Finally Simply Mepis did the trick perfectly, and I'm sure my sighs of relief were heard for miles. That fixed the kids' PCs.

Min PC, which was wired to the router, didn't need the wireless connection and SuSE 10 was so good that I settled on it and, later, 10.1, followed by SLED 10. Puppy has revived an old clunker that was acting as a doorstop, too.

But I still need to keep a Windows box running for my Canon scanner and printer (though all the Linux boxes print beautifully to my shared HP Laserjet 5L connected to the Windows box).

If Canon ever release drivers I'll finally be able to say "goodbye Windows".

Fred