[LINK] Moved to Linux

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Sep 13 17:17:43 AEST 2006

On 13/09/2006, at 4:59 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
<snip>

>> The real problem with computers is that everything is trash. It's
>> unbelievable that in one of the most expensive items of household
>> spending, people are expected to put up with rubbish hardware
>> *and* software *and* incompatible systems.
>
> Nice rant.  Not only are they expensive but they are about the
> worst investment possible.  They lose value in themselves and in
> comparison to the current market.

Nope, there are *plenty* of worse 'investments'. Try cars. Try almost
anything for which it is possible to buy better, faster, cheaper,
snazzier, more-fashionable, etc.

I've got daily-use computers sitting here which are still providing
trouble-free service, _well_ beyond their use-by date (whatever that
was meant to be - my accountant and tax agent have other ideas).

I'm very pleased with my investment, and even though I've had my
share of 'faults' in both hardware and software, I'm perfectly
satisfied with what I'm using - and I don't need much help to keep
the whole lot running. Basically, the hardware just works, and the
software has proved to be a very good set-up overall.

But there appears to be an expectation that computers are
'difficult', or 'troublesome', or that they require constant
attention. Not here, thankfully... Perhaps it's my choice of hardware
and software, but I doubt it.

I suspect that the most expensive items of household spending might
encompass furniture, large-screen TVs, air-conditioning, and other
toys. It would be interesting to know, however.

iT