[LINK] Environmental impact of web versus print

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Sep 27 15:41:49 AEST 2006

On 2006 Sep 27, at 1:47 PM, Darrell Burkey wrote:
> Another thing I haven't seen mentioned here that bothers me a great
> deal
> is that both CRT and LCD monitors are transmitted light (backlit for
> lack of a scientific term). When you read off of paper the light
> illuminationg the text is reflected and bounced back to the eye which
> has a much more compressed contrast range. There is a huge difference
> and I find my eyes sensitive to viewing a monitor for too long. Most
> monitors are typically turned up far too high in brightness/contrast
> causing the fonts to bleed and the large areas of white space tend to
> bother me as well.

There is a huge physiological difference between CRT and LCD.  With
CRT you are looking at a single point of light.  Moving very fast but
still a single point so you are looking a screen that is flashing and
changing constantly.  With LCD every pixel is lit  all the time,
changes are limited to the pixels that are actually changing as
opposed to CRT where the screen is constantly changing.  There is no
comparison.

LCD is much more like real stuff especially in terms of the way the
eyes work.  I'm not sure that the difference between reflected and
transmitted light is all that great really.  "Much more compressed
range"?  What do you mean exactly?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant