[LINK] .xxx xxx'd

Alastair Rankine arsptr at internode.on.net
Wed Apr 4 06:52:09 AEST 2007

On 03/04/2007, at 10:22 PM, Danny Yee wrote:

> Alastair Rankine wrote:
>> As always the problem with self-labelling is the potential for
>> deliberate abuse or honest misinterpretation.
>
> The biggest problem is that labelling schemes are too simple for some
> purposes and too complex for others.  And they may purport to being
> "objective", but they all incorporate highly subjective cultural
> judgements.  They reflect the narrow prejudices of their creators.

Self-labelling is not inconsistent with multiple labelling schemes.

For example, I could come up with a new set of labelling criteria (eg
"contains ponies") and apply it to my own site in addition to the
FOSI labels and others.

That RDF (and I believe PICS before it) allows for multiple labelling
criteria is a strength of the technology. It acknowledges that
labelling schemes are (or can be) highly subjective and reflective of
a narrow limited view of the world.

To my mind the real danger of content labelling arises when requiring
a single universal labelling scheme. Which incidentally, the .xxx
domain proposals do.