[LINK] Preservation of Data

Markus Buchhorn markus.buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 5 14:53:47 AEST 2007

At 10:49 AM 5/04/2007, Tom Worthington wrote:
>At 09:33 AM 3/04/2007, Evan.ARTHUR at Dest.gov.au wrote:
>>The issue of preservation of data is becoming a major issue in research land.   ...
>[...]
>This should also be of use to research organisations, particularly those subject to the state and federal archive laws. Researchers at government organisations need to keep in mind that unauthorized deletion of data is not just unfortunate: it is a crime.

If you actually get into those laws (state, territory and federal, depending on the organisation) you'll quickly find that it's not at all clear that research data is a record in the legal sense. Records in the legal sense also come under disposal authorities, and again it's not clear those DA's apply to research data; in fact it's fairly clear they don't in most cases (unlike ethics committees rulings, which can also be highly contradictory even within a single project).

Much as I'd like it to be otherwise sometimes...

Yes, I've looked. Yes, I have no life :-)

Cheers,
        Markus