[LINK] A consumer's experience ... Was: Phone line down

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Fri Apr 6 20:53:22 AEST 2007

>>Not telstra?
>Yes, Telstra.
>
>Lightning fried my ISDN network terminator on the Thursday.  I couldn't
>get through to the call centre until Friday morning.
>
>The following Monday, I got a text message saying that I had an
>"appointment" that morning.  I was on the bus at the time, headed for work.
>
>After midday, I got a call saying that Telstra hadn't managed to get a
>technician to my job.  I agreed to an appointment the following Friday
>afternoon.
>
>Come Friday, nobody turned up.  I gave some poor call centre droid a bit
>of a blast, then demanded compensation.  The droid said that Telstra is
>claiming an exemption because the problem is attributable to "non-Telstra
>equipment", then added that I could expect the line to be out of action
>into the next week.  I don't remember much after that: it's all a red
>haze.  Anyway, the box was replaced next day (plus a Telstra-supplied
>surge-guard/filter).

Oh my goodness.

I have a stack of NT1's here if anyone ever needs any.  Telstra refuse to
collect them and they are pretty useless to me :)

>An NT1 Plus II isn't Telstra equipment?  Failing to keep appointments
>isn't attributable to Telstra?  I guess I should pursue compensation (I
>did take time off work after all), but I'd much rather minimise my
>exposure to Telstra's bureaucracy.

Put in a claim for your Customer Service Guarantee.  A missed appointment
is a serious claim :)

>Come to think of it, that's brilliant.  To avoid compensation claims, just
>be such obnoxious arseholes that nobody wants to have anything to do with
>you.  As a shareholder I see merit in that.  As a customer on the other
>hand ...

If you don't get satisfaction with the first RECORDED telephone call to the
call centre, say you will lodge a complaint with the TIO.

Go to the TIO web site, lodge the complaint.  It costs Telstra $20 odd
straight up.  Then after three days contact the TIO and ask for an
escalation - that's $160 I think :)