[LINK] the weather makers

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Apr 10 09:56:33 AEST 2007

Richard Chirgwin wrote:

>> <SNIP>
>>

>>> Tomorrow? Yes. 20 years? I doubt it would be catastrophic, for
>>> various reasons:
>>>

>> Yes, I agree with this. I was carried away by my own rhetoric, an
>> occupational hazard I'm afraid :-).
>>

> Hyperbole is usually more fun than the alternatives ... seize back the
> world from the pinstripe army!

<snip>
Couldn't agree more, I am currently trying to predict when I will get a
water view....this will be of significant economic value to me! :-)

On the topic of modelling, I scanned through all the emails but there
didn't seem to be any mention of assumptions, which are the basis of
models. (25 years ago, I wrote fortran programs to implement the Orani
Econometric model of the Australian Economy)

The problem we have with current economic modelling is that the
value of the environment has never been fully priced.

There is noo doubt that burning coal kills trees which process Carbon
Dioxide into oxygen.

I recall backpacking through the Ruhr valley (location of the first Youth
Hostel in the world) 20 years ago and noting the desolation, and poor
air quality, in the
face of industry.

There was a curious report this winter from Germany, that virtually the
only place
you could go skiing was indoors in the Ruhr. There news story said they
trucked in snow for a ski competition - which ofcourse excacerbated
global warming.

One of the problems I have is that the drought is being attributed to
Global Warming, whereas it is probably a combination of the El Nino,
degration of land/destruction of forrests which in combination are
contributing to global warming.

We can discuss Africa, but why not focus on Australia.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au/